University of National and World Economy
Department ‘National and Regional Security”
The University of National and World Economy is the oldest, most prestigious and biggest higher economic school in Southeast Europe, leader in Bulgarian higher education.
In 2006 UNWE received from the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency the highest institutional evaluation among all Bulgarian universities, and in 2007 the “Economy” professional field recieved the highest evaluation, given until now in Bulgaria.
UNWE heads the list of ratings of Bulgarian and foreign higher institutes with economic specialties. Traditionally UNWE has the most candidate students and a record-breaking number of outstanding students. Since 2007 the entrance examinations to the University are with Uniformed Selection Examinations (tests) similar to SAT.
The University takes the first place in Bulgaria by realization of its students, most of whom are highly valued at the labor market. State and private employers perceived UNWE as a synonym of high professionalism of its students. It is not a coincidence that UNWE is known as Bulgaria’s Harvard – higher school, which trains the state, political and business elite of Bulgaria. In the last years UNWE has four prime ministers, vice prime ministers, ministers, chairman of the National Assembly, Chairman of the National Audit Office, Prosecutor General, bankers, businessmen and many others.
- 8 faculties – General Economics, Finance and Accounting, Business, Management and Administration, Economics of Infrastructure, Applied Informatics and Statistics, International Economics and Politics, Law;
- 36 departments;
- branches ‘Master’, ‘Institute for postgraduate studies’;
- Centre for distance learning;
- Economic Policy Institute;
- Entrepreneurship Institute;
- Centre for Intellectual Property (the only one in Bulgaria);
- Interuniversity Centre for Career development and others.
There are 500 lecturers, among them 285 professors and associated professors.
UNWE educates more than 16 000 regular and distance learning students in 39 bachelors specialties (in 2 of them -“Economics” and “International economic relations” – the education is in English) and in 40 master programs.
The University possesses Certificate for Quality Management System according to the standard ISO 9001:2000.
About the department ‘National and regional security’
Department ‘National and Regional Security” was established at the UNWE in 1990 with leading specialty ‘Economics of Defence and Security’. Within this specialty about 200 students per year are trained in different degrees, forms and short courses. The department provides education for bachelor and master degrees, specialty ‘Economics of Defence and Security’ as well as master specializations (together with the ‘Intellectual Property’ department) in ‘Corporate Security’.
The students of this specialty find realization in:
- Structures of central and local state administration in security and defence (including the State Agency “State reserves and wartime preparedness” and branches, dealing with crises management and military preparedness);
- Ministry of Defence and Bulgarian Armed Forces (mainly resource branches, financial and planning bodies);
- Ministry of Interior and security services;
- Companies of Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Economy from the defence industry;
- Trading companies in the security and defence sector;
- Custom services (administration and operative work);
- Corporate security;
- Non-profit organisations in the field of security and defence;
- Research units with interests in the security and defence area.
For the last few years, with his own efforts and active participation, department ‘National and Regional Security’ developed more than 30 research projects, financed by the state budget for research, the Ministry of Defence and other interested organisations, as well with participation with Bulgarian and foreign scientific organisations.
The department annually organizes 2 scientific seminars with international participation on the problems of security and defence economics and publishes the report of these events. Until now there are 30 international seminars and conferences on different topical subjects and their results are published. The last research projects of the department are related with the Critical Infrastructure Protection and the Management of Security and Defence related R&D (NATO funded project under Science for Peace and Security Program).
Contacts and information:
Head of the Department: Prof. Dr.Dimitar Dimitrov
+359 (2) 8195 298,
Office assistant: +359 (02) 8195 298
Postal address: Bulgaria, 1700 Sofia, Studentski grad, University of National and World Economy